Sunday, November 25, 2012

My Sunday

Today was my first day off in quite a while!  I've been rather busy but that's making time go by unbelievably fast!  It amazes me that November is almost over. 4 months in Korea already, how about that?  So many things have been going on but I wanted to post about this weekend first mostly because it was awesome and since this is my blog you're all basically subjected to whatever I decide to ramble on about anyway.

After my classes at Imdang in the morning I ran to hop on the subway (Well actually I kind of stopped for coffee then I ran, what coffffffffeeeeeee, mmmmm).  I met up with my friend Kirstin we went shopping in Daegu before our Thanksgiving dinner. 

At about 4:30 we met up with our friend Chloe and then we all went to dinner together!  The Thanksgiving dinner at Buy the Book was a little taste of home!


Thanksgiving dinner!













Chloe and I are possessed!(Just kidding.... mostly...)...










We had a really nice Thanksgiving away from home!  It was really great to be with friends when family was so far away.  We even goofed off and made videos of dinner which I may eventually manage to get from Chloe lol.  The owners probably thought we were nuts!  We were having fun though so I call it a win!

After dinner we ran around for a while then poor Kirstin went home (or rather she returned to quarantine) because she still has a cold and I met some of Chloe's Korean friends.  They're really nice guys and they'd all been hiking earlier that day!  I'm hoping my ankle heals up soon so I can go back to doing more entertaining activities. 



Sunday I got up and headed to Beomeo station where I was supposed to meet with a volunteer coordinator and a couple of other volunteers.  We were going to an orphanage in Daegu!








I didn't take any pictures at the orphanage it didn't really seem right and since it was my first time there I was a bit nervous so I really wanted to not do anything that would be considered bad.  The boys were hilarious!  Very happy to see foreigners and play.  Within about 20 minutes of being there one of the little boys decided that the best spot to be was my lap.  I kept asking him his name and I knew he understood me but was just being shy so finally I switched over and asked him in Korean and once he stopped staring at me with his mouth open he answered (That's right you will talk to me whether you want to or not!)!

We ended up playing with them for most of the afternoon.  They really love soccer and baseball.  Although two of the smaller boys really wanted to play hide and seek so we ended up playing that and even the coordinator from the government office that had come with us joined in.  I was really sad when it was time to leave.  I can't wait to go back.  Right now it's a once a month thing but I'm hoping to volunteer more.

What really struck me is that the kids seem really happy and close with each other which is great.  The building was really nice but I've heard that kids from orphanages unfortunately don't often get the opportunity to experience higher education.  I'd like to hope that's not true as most of these boys were very bright. 

After volunteering I went to downtown and met with Rachel!  It'd been way too long!  We visited and had dinner.  All told it was a fantastic weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment