Monday, August 13, 2012

Around Gyeongsan

So I was at work for about a week and a half before it was time for holiday.  Everyone in school was going on vacation this week so I have an abundance of free time.  I wish I could say that I was doing something terribly exciting but as of yet not so much although tomorrow I plan to go to Daegu.  Gyeongsan is considered a suburb of Daegu as the city and my town have pretty much merged into a very large expanse of metropolitan with just a green stretch of farmland and a small river separating us.




This is the view from my apartment.  The green fields are actually rice paddies.  The rice looks kind of like tall grass up close.










This area is surrounded by mountains and apparently two of them are very popular hiking spots.  From what I understand that is Daegu in the distance as it is over the bridge.  Once you cross the bridge apparently you are in the outer Daegu area.








The International Center at Yongnam University.  At least I think it is Yongnam University....  There are a lot of universities in Gyeongsan.  Despite being a smaller city Gyeongsan prides itself in it's education. This international center offers classes to foreigners who want to learn Korean.  I bought a beginner textbook already!



There is a huge building back there.  I was intrigued by it's interesting architecture and was told that it was a museum by another foreign teacher who has lived here for a few years.  A huge museum that is run by the University!







All of the tall buildings and people amaze me.  When you are walking through the town though it is incredibly common to see an old house, small park or trees just randomly amidst skyscrapers.  Although the city has grown so big the Koreans seem to like to leave nature alone whenever possible.






This is the road leading down to my apartment complex.  The city looks rather large for a rural area right?  You can find the most amazing stores just wandering around.








Well those are just a few of my photos hopefully tomorrow I will have cleaned my apartment enough that I won't feel insanely guilty taking and posting pictures of it.  I was given a two bedroom apartment, I expected the living quarters to be tiny but my apartment is actually a fairly decent size and so far I have loved it!  It is conveniently close to school.  Right now I don't have a very good view though because of the construction of a new subway stop.  All of the building materials they are using are literally stacked up right across the street from my apartment complex.  Oh well.  Come December apparently the new subway will be open and they should be cleaning it all up.  Then I will only have to walk 2 blocks to take the subway to Daegu!

No comments:

Post a Comment