Tuesday, August 14, 2012

To Daegu!

Today was close to the tail end of my vacation and since I have been limping around on a bad knee for the past week I hadn't gone anywhere yet.  Since I've been getting around and feeling okay I decided to try the transit system and made my way to Daegu.  The transit system in South Korea is amazing!  I am truly amazed by how convenient and easy it is to get around whether it is bus, subway, etc.  I rode the bus to Seomun Market which is the oldest historical shopping district in Daegu.


The tall brick building across the field is my school!  It's the only building tall enough to see over the trees.  Apparently that is a jujube orchard, jujubes from this area are famous and are used in teas and liquor among other things.  I've never eaten one...




This is the construction of the new subway that is going to be 3 blocks from my apartment.  With everything torn up it's hard to believe they plan on having it done by December!









I keep wondering what these little trees are they are everywhere!  Really pretty but none of them look very big.











Some days everything feels so foreign here that when I randomly come across stores like this it makes me laugh a little.










I've seen a Dominos, PizzaHut, McDonald's, Burger King, Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts and a Baskin Robins so far in Korea.  Haven't eaten at any of them yet...








I love how close nature is.  No matter how crowded or big the city is there will still be random little parks everywhere.  There were a bunch of people outside here laying in the grass next to the river.










I had felt like Gyeongsan was rather large but the giant buildings in Daegu really do make Gyeongsan seem like a small town.  Also the traffic is insane!  I can't imagine what it would be like somewhere like Seoul!







I made it to Seomun Market!  The largest historical shopping district in Daegu and one of the oldest.  Apparently it has existed since the  Joseon  Dynasty although it used to be called Daegu-jang market and existed in another location.  It was just gigantic.  Walking around and looking at stuff was amazing.







There were fish vendors everywhere.  All kinds of seafood (some of it still alive) were at various stalls.  While I was taking this picture I was standing next to a bucket that was moving and almost dropped my camera when I realized it was full of live eels... They looked like they were trying to escape!








Huge fresh flower market! It was so beautiful.  I had wanted to walk in the store but it was INSANELY crowded and I learned very quickly that these women are serious about their flowers!  So I just took pictures from a safe distance!








This was a huge wig store!  I had never seen so many wigs all in one place...











There are supposedly over 4,000 vendors at the Seomun market.  The market is 3 floors and an underground level and literally covers like a city block.  What is disconcerting is to walk between vendors only to have a motorbike speed by.  Those guys literally go everywhere...






After I wandered around a bit looking at things I met up with Rachel a super awesome teacher living in Daegu.  She showed me how to use the subway, and my ATM!  It solved two of my major problems all in the span of like 10 minutes.  We went to dinner and visited and then she took me to a huge underground shopping center near one of the subway stops!  It was amazing and convenient as it was raining by this point.  I have 4 umbrellas in my apartment that the previous tenant left behind.  Did I bring one?  Nope...

I bought 3 CDs and a few things from Daiso and then Rachel made sure I got on the right bus to head home and I got back at about 11!  It was a long but wonderful day, probably the best I've had so far!  The one day I'm gone of course is the day that they tried to deliver a package my mom sent!  Tomorrow is Korean Independence day so Thursday I will see if the Korean teacher would be nice enough to call the number they left on my door.


No comments:

Post a Comment