Friday, August 17, 2012

My Walk Home

My apartment complex is on the last road before the rice paddies and farms start.  If I go one direction I see countryside, if I go the other direction it's city streets!  Today after I left work I decided to take some pictures of my walk home just because it really does look like I'm emerging from the jungle!





My apartment is the corner one.













All the construction materials for the subway station are across the street from my house.  Today they had a crane there and they were moving big stacks of things.



My apartment complex is next to the building with the giant bowling pin that's how I can always find my way home lol.  Also those bowling pins are an insanely popular way for bowling alleys to let you know that they are hidden away in a building.  That particular bowling alley is on the second floor above a fried chicken restaurant and below a gym....






After passing through this little road (that's almost like an alley) you go from the city to countryside almost.











Walking towards the school.  That giant apartment complex seems to be for wealthy people.  I always see really expensive cars parked in front of it...










These are grape vines.  I'm not sure what the coverings are for as I've yet to see a bird in Korea...











More grape vines.  There are like 3 seperate orchards of them between my place and the school. Also a bunch of Jujube orchards.









Koreans don't like to waste space.  Even the fence posts are used to hold up bean plants.  Every square inch of land is used to grow something...











I honestly can't tell if this is a natural river or irrigation.  Either way it's pretty...












The rice comes up to my waist now.  It looks like a tall field of grass right?










I keep wondering what they have growing in those greenhouse looking buildings.  If I were to guess I'd say peppers just because everytime I look at a plant if I don't recognize it when I ask it's a pepper plant of some sort.  The Koreans love their spicy food!








I really love the mountains that surround us.  They seem to make just about any picture of the city just a little bit prettier.  Today it was a bit hazy around them though...









Peppers!  Seems like they are being grown everywhere!











These are like cicadas.  They are soooooooo noisy! He doesn't look like it but he's huge too.  Korea has some truly startlingly large bugs... These guys don't bother me but don't get me started on the spiders I have seen already since coming to Korea...








Almost home by this point.  As soon as I round the bend and see the bowling pin in the distance I know I'm close lol!  It takes me about 10 minutes to get from the school to my house so not a bad walk... Unless it is as hot as today was then it's a bit miserable and I'm sweating by the end of it...







My apartment complex.  Wish I could get the picture to rotate so it is standing upright!  The 1st floor is a really delicious cheap restaurant.  Lunch there is only 4500 won (about 4 USD)!  That is where my school takes the teachers to lunch when the cafeteria is closed in the summer.  We ate there a lot when I first got to Korea!  They make this cinnamon tea that is delicious!



I hopped on the bus today to go to E-mart because I wanted to buy another sheet for my bed so I could wash my sheets, got there and bought groceries.  I got everything I needed for making Japchae and some jujube wine to try.  Rode  the bus all the way home only to realize that I got everything but sheets!  Guess who gets to go back tomorrow?  *Insert sigh here*  The problem with doing laundry here is that without a dryer it can take up to 3 days for things to dry depending on what it is...

Tomorrow I am going to try to ride the subway into Daegu to go to Daiso!  I want to buy some cheap stickers and candies for my kids.  I only have two more days of summer camp so I want to make it fun for them!  They are all great kids so hopefully they can behave for two more days until English camp ends!  Today the older kids in the 5th and 6th grade class got into a super intense K-pop discussion during one of the activities.  They all like different bands and had to find out what music teacher liked to listen to.  The level of fan devotion that these elementary school kids are able to have towards a pop band is intense man!  Thankfully I passed and they all decided I had decent tastes.  Yay I'm cool.... To a bunch of elementary school kids... sigh...



No comments:

Post a Comment